Pierluca

Developer

Hi everyone, I'm Pierluca, I have been living in Milan (Italy) for almost 20 years, but I was born in a small town in South Italy. I can't say I have a good relationship with the English language, but about four years ago, I started learning it seriously ( I think so).
First of all, because I'm a developer, so I'm forced to study it and secondly it's my challenge. Unfortunately, my listening capacity is not great, but in September, I found out this fantastic site, and I'm trying to use podcast and the shadowing technique to improve it as well as my pronunciation (my accent is easily recognizable). Of course, for me, it's not a cakewalk, but basically, I don't love to throw in the towel. What else? 
I used to play videogames, but recently I try to spend my free time reading some good books in English, I'm a tv series junky, and I love 80s movies such as The Goonies, Ghostbuster, Big Trouble in Little China and so on... (nerd attracting elements) :)
Hi  Pierluca  

Welcome to the forum! It's great to read how you use shadowing. 

I usually do it on the spot.  When I hear something interesting that I want to repeat, I do it. Same when reading. I can read pages and pages without pausing, but other times I feel like checking 5 different words in 5 minutes.

Keep learning, keep growing 👍

P.S. Great request! :) 
Heya  Pierluca , it's great to welcome you 👋

Out of interest, what's the small town in southern Italy? My wife is from Trieste, so quite a distance away I guess, but I have also travelled quite a bit in Campania / Calabria / Sicily...

Thanks for your kind words about the site - I hope it'll get better and better in 2021, and I'd love your feedback about what can be improved!

Great to hear you have been working on shadowing too. How are you finding it? I know lots of people start shadowing but it feels weird / they have trouble continuing...

For anyone reading this that doesn't know what it is, Shadowing is basically repeating at the same time as the audio (full guide here)

Thanks for this awesome introduction - it's great to hear a bit more about your English 'journey', and it sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. Congratulations 💪
Pierluca replied
  ·  4 replies